One of my favorite snacks is a simple homemade granola. It’s easy to prepare, and you can tweak as you need or see fit. I’ve been tweaking for a long time and have finally come up with a recipe that suits our tastes and allergen set perfectly. You can double or triple the recipe as needed. I usually double this recipe to last us about a week. We use it as breakfast cereal, to top applesauce and as a dip for a ripe banana. I’ve also topped baked sweet potatoes with it and my kiddos raved about it for days.
- 3 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Oil (I used canola)
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 225F and line a cookie sheet with foil
- Mix the oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, flax, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a large bowl until well mixed. (Dry mixture)
- Mix the oil, honey, and vanilla in a small bowl until well blended. (Wet mixture)
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spread on cookie sheet and place in oven.
- Bake at 225F for 2 hours, stirring once in the middle. (pay close attention towards the end, you don’t want the coconut to burn)
- Remove from the oven and let the granola cool. As it cools it will get beautifully crunchy 🙂
- Once cooled, pick up the foil and turn it into a funnel (with the granola still on it) to get it into your storage container of choice.